Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The First Step

Monday mornings.. they seem to be everybody's worst enemy.  The long layover from the weekend makes rolling out of bed for the start of the weekly grind just that much harder. Oh how I hate the alarm on Monday morning,  but we have all been there. Here's to another week of that 9 to 5 glory, oh joy!

About 6 months ago I became a 9 to 5er. For those of you who do not understand this then I truly feel for you since you more than likely are not in the club, but rest assured your day of redemption is coming! And yes in case you were wondering I am just trying to make you feel better. The good news is now I actually understand why our middle school teachers and councilors emphasized college to us even before we could drive.They wanted this for us as well. Shoot everyone wants to be a 9 to 5er. If you do not pursue these hours you are either lying to yourself, or you are getting paid way to much money to work a crummy shift which by all means I am sure you are not complaining (too much).

Being a 9 to 5er sure has great benefits. It assures you of ample time to sleep in, and then enough time for activities in the evening. Hooray! Epic Win! (Insert hipster slang of choice) Alright you get the point. But now that I am a 9 to 5er, I absolutely loathe doing anything productive before 9am or after 5pm. I am so lazy and worthless as soon as 5:01pm hits, that I can barely even muster the motivation to write this  post. This is just a tad problematic! I can actually feel myself spiraling out of control. I find myself dead tired, all the time. My clothes are fitting tighter by the week, my breathing is heavier, my heart beats quicker, my energy level is just non existent.

What the heck has happened? Heaven knows my wife has seen it and if I was her I would even be frustrated with me too. At church this Sunday our pastor pointed something out. If you do not take care of yourself today.. how can you be any good to anyone who may need you in the future. This  wake up call was significantly worse than the Monday morning alarm. I know its cliche and boring to point out but its time for a change. It is time to take my life back.

The initial stresses of moving, getting married and starting a new job are long gone and its time to act that way. Its time to turn off the tube and spend more time with my wife. Its time to start catching the highlights instead of the whole game. Its time to get up earlier and get some exercise. Its time to start eating right. Its time to start living life on my terms so I can enjoy what time I have left.

Its time to start building my future and the time is now, not tomorrow. Tomorrow is just another excuse to continue failing. The 9 to 5 workweek deep down may be what we truly want out of life and you will get no complaints here. I just want the 5 to 9 lifestyle to start working a little harder for me.

I will leave you with a quote from a favorite author of mine   

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step."--C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment